Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Hi my 10 month old chihuahua managed to get hold of an unopened

Hi my 10 month old chihuahua managed to get hold of an unopened bottle of clairol colour activating creme for a nice n easy hair dye it says on the label contains hydrogen peroxide the bottle is still intact but there is a little twisty cap that you twist off to open it and when i turned it upside down the liquid dripped out so he must have bit through it, there was no liquid on the floor beside the bottle and i cant smell it of his breath i think he burst it got a small taste of it and decided it didnt taste very good so left it , this happened about 45 mins ago and he seems fine should i be worried ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
I'm sorry to hear that Paco has gotten into something he should not have.
Hydrogen peroxide isn't truly toxic but it is a gastric irritant and so the effects from it are usually drooling, nausea and vomiting. This usually happens relatively quickly after exposure, within 10 to 15 minutes in most cases.
If he isn't displaying any of those symptoms after 45 minutes then it is likely that he ingested so little that he won't get sick and he should be fine.

If he does seem a little nauseous later you can give either:
1)Pepcid ac (famotidine) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours
OR
2)Prilosec (omeprazole) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours
These are acid reducers and should help him feel better. They are quite safe and can be given for several days if necessary.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you , i feel a lot better now knowing he has not just poisoned himself ! he is a very tricky little dog and always getting into some kind of bother its worse than looking after a baby!! with the amount of things he gets into as he can open cupboard doors and is always running around with something in his mouth Thanks again for your help . x

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Wow, he is a talented little guy if he is opening up cupboard doors. I can imagine that you have your hands full all of the time. Luckily the puppy stage is almost over and maybe he will settle down and be a little less mischievous, best of luck with him. Perhaps you should get him in movies?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yeah he is really clever when i put him in his pet carrier which has a zip to open and close the top of it he opens the zip and lets himself back out !! i try to put him in there for 10 mins so i can run around and clean up and 10 seconds after i put him in he is out and standing beside me !!

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
What a character, fun to have around I am sure but also exhausting!
I think he would have quite a career in movies.