Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

A cross breed Staff/XXXXX XXXXX approx six years old. Recently

A cross breed Staff/XXXXX XXXXX approx six years old. Recently had a cold/Flu, plenty of nasal discharge, now free of ailment. She has been loosing weight over a period of 5 weeks, now very skinny,eats well,drinks copious amount of water, has become extremely weak.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
I am sorry to hear that Tess has lost a significant amount of weight even though she is eating well for you. Coupled with her increased water consumption and now weakness I would be highly suspicious that Tess has developed diabetes.
Diabetic dogs are certainly more prone to picking up secondary infections, such as an upper respiratory infection, and they lose weight because they are unable to use the calories they are eating due to their lack of insulin which carries glucose into the cells for energy. The excess blood sugar is spilled over into the urine via the kidneys and excess fluid loss follows, causing them to drink more water.

Dogs in almost every case are insulin dependent diabetics, so she needs to see her veterinarian for some blood and urine tests and if she is diabetic, get started on insulin. While higher fiber diets help regulate blood glucose levels by slowing absorption of nutrients so there isn't a blood glucose spike, diet alone cannot be used to control diabetes in dogs.

Other possibilities, though less common in a younger dog, are cancer which can burn calories because of a tumor's higher metabolic rate and cause increased water consumption, or primary intestinal disease which interferes with the digestion and absorption of food and thus leads to weight loss. Both would lead to weakness because her body isn't getting the calories it needs.

There isn't much to be done for Tess at home except make sure she has plenty of fresh water to drink. She needs hands on veterinary care as soon as possible.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.