Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My black lab finished a course of four weeks on antibiotics

Customer Question

My black lab finished a course of four weeks on antibiotics about 3 weeks ago for a urine infection. But yesterday I noticed he had urinated in his bed again..... Washed it all and then again this morning. What can we try as a natural medicine?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about Benny. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

There are some herbal supplements that can help prevent recurring urinary infections, such as cranberry supplements. However, they will not work any more than prescription medication until you have a diagnosis of the problem.

The first thing is to do a urinalysis, to see if there is another infection, or if the problem is something else such as sugar in his urine, low urine concentration, high protein levels in the urine, crystals in the urine, urinary incontinence ( lack of control of bladder sphincter), or prostate disease.

So whether you want to work with naturopathy, homeopathy, or Western medicine, you have to get a diagnosis to know what you are treating. I sure wish I could recommend an herb or supplement that will cure every known bladder disease! But we need to know what the underlying problem is, and a urinalysis and feeling his prorate, is where I would start.

Please let me know what else I can answer, or help with.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

These things have been done and Benny was clear of infection and sugar or crystals. Why would it keep reoccurring? Are there not more natural products you know of?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
If it keeps recurring, then either the infection is not being adequately treated ( wrong antibiotic for instance), or there is some other underlying problem, such as prostate disease. Has his prostate been checked? This means an X-ray, and manually feeling the prostate.

In addition to cranberry, D-mannose can help prevent recurrences of urinary infections. Using a diet that maintains an acidic urine pH like Urinary SO by Royal Canin may help. Using probioitics can also be helpful; I recommend ones made for dogs rather than people.

I have read of colloidal silver being helpful for infections, but it can also do harm if taken internally. Not something I would ever use, but I have heard of it helping. People have actually killed themselves with taking silver for internal infections.

Traditional Chinese herbs can be effective, but you need to work with a veterinarian trained in TCM (traditional Chinese medicine). They do an exam, and come up with a diagnosis and recommended treatment; it is not a one size fits all therapy. So seeking a veterinarian trained in alternative therapies like TCM and acupuncture might best, XXXXX XXXXX want to treat this with nonWestern medicine.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the good rating.

Rebecca