Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

I have a Pyrenean sheepdog which has lost hair from the tip

Customer Question

I have a Pyrenean sheepdog which has lost hair from the tip of her tail for 1-2 inches. What could be causing this? I do have cream for pyoderma (Fuciderm) but the area is dry rather than wet. Should I try this ointment? Someone has suggested cortizone too...

Thanks,
Mike
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.

Rebecca :

Rebecca :

Thanks for asking about Allie.

Rebecca :

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

If the skin where she has lost hair is infected, the Fuciderm may help. If the skin is inflamed (red, itchy, swollen), the cortisone cream may help.

Rebecca :

If the skin is normal: dry, not red, smooth, just hairless, then probably neither one will help.

Rebecca :

Hypothyroidism can make a dog lose hair, starting on the tail. Other hormonal conditions like Cushing's disease ( over active adrenal glands) will also cause hair loss and the tail can be the first place you notice it.

Rebecca :

There is a supplement called melatonin that can sometime help to get the hair follicles working again. It is available over the counter.

Rebecca :

I am not seeing responses from you. I hope you see what I am writing!

Rebecca :

I will try to connect another way if I do not hear from you first.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Mike,
I hope you can see what I am saying now.

You could try your ointments, they will not do any harm, but it would be rare for a skin infection or inflammation to be only on the tail. I suspect this is related to hair growth or hormone cycles.

I would try the melatonin, 3 to 6 mg per day. It is also safe, and might help. If it is not helping, then the first thing I would test for is hypothyroidism, a blood test.

Please let me know what else I can answer, or help with.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the advice Rebecca. The skin is dry and not red so I'll try the melatonin. I'll also look upo hypothyroidism!

Best wishes,
Mike

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating! Hope she is growing hair again soon!

Rebecca