Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

hi i have a 13 year old alsation he as lost some weight he

hi i have a 13 year old alsation he as lost some weight he tends to be alone most times hes not eating much and dosent want to out at all his breathing is deep any help
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear that Blade isn't feeling as well as normal. Is he having any increased urination or drinking? Are his gums pale? Any vomiting? Any diarrhea?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hes drinking a lot and has had a few problems urinating in the house

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for that information Darren. In a situation with an older dog that is losing some weight and also drinking more / urinating more (having accidents) - diabetes is a situation that may be at hand. Other things could be kidney issues or liver issues or unfortunately cancer. At this time, the absolute best thing to do would be to have him evaluated by your vet and have some blood work evaluated to screen for diabetes. If it is present, then it can be treated. I know it is something that scares some owners to hear that their pet has diabetes, but it is a situation that can be treated pretty well in a majority of cases with just some minimal effort on an owners part. Does this make sense Darren?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes ill take him to be checked many thanks bruce

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
I'm hoping for the best for this older guy! Give him a good head scratch for me Darren. Please let me know if any future questions come up. Here is a great link on diabetes for you to read up on.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=631