Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

Sorry, I was interrupted before. I was enquiring whether there

Sorry, I was interrupted before. I was enquiring whether there is anything simple we can do for our 14 year old dog with wobbly legs.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. To best help out with Sappho at this time, I need to ask a few questions. How long has she had the wobbly legs? Is she otherwise still eating and drinking well? Is she having a harder time getting up and down stairs?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Her back legs have been less effective for 3/4 months, but suddenly last Friday she started losing her balance, falling over on slippery floors, uneven surfaces, when she tries to shake. She is not eating her hard food much, drinking OK, wants to go for walks. Her head is cocked to the right. She is having trouble with steps
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for that information Berr about Sappho. With a girl her age and those clinical signs, she may be having some degeneration (arthritis) in her hips and knees that is causing her to be like this. They can have discomfort from the degeneration and this causes them to loose some muscle mass which furthers the clinical signs. Something that would be pretty simple to try to see if it helps her situation is oral medications for arthritis. Your veterinarian should be the first source for these as they can prescribe her the one that is the best and safest. In a situation like this, if she is responding well, then you can possibly go to a generic version of the medication started up. But, I like to go with the name brand medications first like Rimadyl, Metacam, Deramax, etc. first to see what response is first obtained.

Here is a good link going over the various medications that are used for arthritis in dogs.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=587

I would again give her a couple week trial on one prescribed by your vet to see how she does. My hopes would be that it greatly improves her situation.