Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog is in some discomfort for a few hours seems to have

My dog is in some discomfort for a few hours seems to have stomach pains wont lie down stomach is making lots of noices she is just generally not right .
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
I am sorry to hear that Millie has increased stomach noises and seems generally uncomfortable tonight with a lack of an appetite.
The increased noises you are hearing are likely due to a hypermotile gastrointestinal tract.
This can be due to a number of reasons.

I am concerned about conditions such as a reaction or sensitivity to a new food or treat or something that she found on her own to eat, pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas), inflammatory bowel disease or dietary allergies or less likely in a young dog kidney or liver disease which can affect her intestinal tract by the build-up of waste products. Along with any of these conditions we'll see increased acid production and sometimes reflux. That will cause abdominal pain and increased noises as well as a decreased appetite.

If she were my patient I would run a basic blood panel on her including a full blood count and biochemistry panel to make sure her internal organs were fine. I'd also add a canine PL which is a very specific test for pancreatitis. And of course I'd check a fecal for parasites.

At home tonight I'd recommend Pepcid-ac at one 10mg tab per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours OR Prilosec (omeprazole) at one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

And tonight I would even offering her food. Let her stomach settle first. In the morning if she feels better I would try feeding her a bland diet of 50% boiled lean hamburger (or white skinless chicken) and 50% boiled white rice. Feed several small meals tomorrow.

Once she feels better start mixing in her regular dog food very slowly, less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert her back.
If Millie begins vomiting and continues feeling poorly though it would be best that she see a veterinarian now as anything you give her orally will just come back up worsening her dehydration.

If she is a big deep chested dog we do want to watch her for signs of bloat, which can certainly cause abdominal discomfort. Symptoms of that problem are a quickly enlarging abdomen (due to trapped gas), attempting to vomit but unable, and salivation. These symptoms happen quickly and can be deadly.

Best of luck with your girl, please let me know if you have any further questions.