Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Is there any thing that removes poo from dogs fur without bathing

Is there any thing that removes poo from dogs fur without bathing she hates water is there anything that would break it down.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and I'll do my best to help you today.

There are waterless shampoos available (LINK) but to be perfectly honest, they don't work well when fecal matter has become attached or is present on the fur. It doesn't contain any sort of enzymatic action which will degrade the material.

I did a quick search on a veterinary based website and couldn't find any products which would work as you want.

In a situation like this, prevention is one way to approach the problem so it doesn't occur in the first place.
I advise owners to purchase very inexpensive mustache trimmers at a dollar store and trim any longer hair around the rectum.
If there are dried feces present, then I'll don latex gloves and shave off the offending material. Most dogs tolerate this very well.

I'll suggest baby wipes to clean the anal area after defecation.

I'm sorry that I couldn't provide a more specific answer to your question but I wouldn't want to use any enzymatic cleaner (those designed to clean carpet, etc). on a dog's body. Those appear to be the only products which would actually degrade fecal material.

But I hope this helps and provides other options to consider.
Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

Good luck with Bi; I know that you're dealing with a difficult situation since she doesn't like water.

Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the information request.