Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

Hi, we got a puppy nearly 2 weeks ago and she was vaccinated

Customer Question

Hi, we got a puppy nearly 2 weeks ago and she was vaccinated by the breeder with Vanguard 7 at 8 weeks. She is due her second lot at 10 weeks according to her health card. I checked with our local vet and they don't do that vaccine and recommend that we start a new course of the vaccine that they use. We can take her to the original vet, which is quite a way away, but not at exactly 10 weeks. How important is it that is exactly 2 weeks apart, could we go a week or two later?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. In a situation like this, I would do the veterinarian's vaccine protocol that is going to provide long term care for this little girl. In all honesty, each practice will have different manufacturers for the various vaccines. I would go with the vet's recommendation that your going to use from here on. They are going to do what is best for her.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your reply. The reason I asked was because we are actually going to sign Heidi up with a surgery that opens in a week (which is part of a chain of surgeries she was originally seen at). That is why I asked if the second vaccine due now could wait a week or so. We were only going to use the local surgery for the second vaccine as the recommendation was 8 & 10 weeks, because the other surgery is not open yet. But as they don't have that vaccine I don't really want to start a new course and pay double, especially as we won't be staying with them. So, in your opinion, can she wait for her second dose for 3-4 weeks instead of the recommended 2?

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
I'm extremely sorry in my delay for a response. Had an emergency come up at work that pulled me away. Do you know specifically what vaccine it is that they don't have? Honestly, all veterinary clinics should have pretty much the same core vaccines on hand. They just may be by different manufacturers or in different combinations. It wouldn't be the worst thing to wait a week or so to get the vaccines, typically vaccines are given 8, 12, 16 weeks or 9, 12, 15 weeks of age. So you can see there is some play there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for getting back to me. The vaccine used by the breeder was Vanguard 7 (as per my original message) and was to be given at 8 and 10 weeks, and the local surgery definitely don't have that; they have one that is given at 8 and 12 weeks (I do not know the name). I think in this case we will wait. Thank you for your help.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
I'm glad to have helped out Olga. I think waiting is a very good decision at this time! Enjoy this new addition to the family!