Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Hi, My 10 month old pup is on day 2 of not eating she has vomited

Customer Question

Hi, My 10 month old pup is on day 2 of not eating she has vomited clear slimy bubble a few times and today her stools have become loose , i checked in her mouth to see if there was anything, the back seemed a bit swollen but the color seems normal , although she is not taking food she is drinking.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that China is not feeling well...in most cases such as this, this is caused by a digestive disturbance from something that China may have ingested. The best treatment for this is as follows:

Fast China for 24 hrs which she is doing himself to allow her tract to calm down and heal..

Give Pepcid AC at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs.

Give only small amounts of water or ice cubes.

After the fast, feed a small meal of rice and boiled chicken.

If the vomiting has resolved, then wean China back onto regular food. If the vomiting persists especially during the fast, take her to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as an intestinal obstruction.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply, just one thing I would like to ask is , a lot of mucos in the stool is that her systom trying to clear it self?

HI John...this mucous is due to the stool remaining in the colon too long which is usually caused by this digestive disturbance and pain so China does not want to go....this will resolve once the disturbance clears up, John.

Thank you so much, John for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about China's condition.