Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Just came home to find my dog has opened a tin box with 4 mince

Just came home to find my dog has opened a tin box with 4 mince pies in and a 2 " sausage of the mincemeat wrapped up in cling film (my daughter made them at school). What should I do/look out for? He's a 7 year old Labradoodle

Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear about Rufus. How does he seem to be right now?

Rebecca :

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Customer:

He appears to be completely normal.

Rebecca :

Eating all the mince pies and the sausage may not harm him at all, or could give him some diarrhea for a day or two. I am more worried about the cling wrap: did he eat any of that?

Customer:

Yes he did and has done so before in the past.

Rebecca :

If he ate a large piece of the cling wrap, it could cause an intestinal blockage. If that happens, he will start to vomit, and stop eating.

Rebecca :

So, as long as he is alert, willing to eat, and his gums look a normal bright pink color, he will probably be fine.

Rebecca :

I might not feed him too much for the next 24 hours, until you see if he develops diarrhea or vomiting. Plenty of water, but small meals only, if not a 12 to 24 hour fast.

Customer:

The mincemeat was wrapped in cling film and was about 2" long and 1 1/4" wide.

Rebecca :

That is probably not big enough to cause a blockage.

Customer:

He does seem to have the constitution of an ox!! Has previously eaten a lot of grapes and had preventative treatment for kidney failure.

Rebecca :

Labradors, and labradoodles, are eating machines. I wish I had kept a list of the things I have heard them eat. Corn cobs, pine cones, things that are not even related to food.

Rebecca :

Fortunately, they usually have a constitution to handle it.

Customer:

He definitely seems fine so happy to follow your advice. Many thanks.

Rebecca :

As well as grapes, be careful of sugarless chewing gum ( xylitol), Macadamia nuts, pennies, uncooked bread dough.

Julie,
Thank you for the great rating.

Rebecca
Hello Julie,
How is Rufus today?

Rebecca