Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

hi got a litter of 7 pups one week old mum died 4 days ago

Customer Question

hi got a litter of 7 pups one week old mum died 4 days ago . all pups doing well so far but today one has developed a swollen eye with pus leaking .it is eating and going toilet fine no crying or acting of discomfort. non have open eyes yet .is it serious or could passed on to the rest of pups. thinking it conjuntavitus ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.

Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am so sorry to hear these poor puppies are orphans.

Rebecca :

My name isXXXXX am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

Is the pus leaking from between the eyelids, or from the corner of the eye?

Rebecca :

How old are the puppies?

Customer:

hi its more the inside of the eye

Customer:

inside corner

Rebecca :

Are they a week old yet?

Customer:

they are 10 days old today

Rebecca :

I would try to get the pus to drain out of the eye. I would use a warm compress to gently soften the pus, wipe it away, and try to gently squeeze it out. Their eyes should be open very soon, so as the eyelids part and open, there will be small holes to let the pus out.

Rebecca :

Sometimes the pus hardens, and keeps the eyelids closed after they would normally open. I would clean them up gently and a couple of times a day.

Customer:

oh good thats what we been doing . is it like conjuntavitus , could it be passed on to the other pups

Rebecca :

I would expect it could pass to all the puppies.

Rebecca :

What happened to the mother?

Rebecca :

Did she have an infection that could now be in the puppies?

Rebecca :

As soon as their eyes are open, you can get some antibiotic eye drops to use.

Customer:

ok would it be better to keep them all together or try to seperate that one a bit. we dont no what caused her to die as yet we are waithing on autopsy and that could be a few more weeks .

Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear that.

Customer:

can we use any eye drops or specific dog ones lol sorry not a clue about dogs and pups so learning alot v quickly

Rebecca :

I would assume the other puppies are already exposed. I would probably keep them together for warmth. No wrong answer, really: if you feel better separating this puppy that would be OK but keep it warm.

Rebecca :

Any eyedrops that do not contain steroids, and do have antibiotics in them would be fine. Here in the US, you have to get them from a veterinarian.

Customer:

ok thank you . just to put alot of minds at rest is it a possibility this could be life threatening

Rebecca :

As long as the puppies are all eating, and passing urine and stool, they are not seriously ill.

Rebecca :

If the eye infection becomes systemic, that could be life threatening. But usually eye infections do not go systemic.

Rebecca :

Just keep up your good nursing care, keep feeding them.

Customer:

thank you so much x

Rebecca :

You are so welcome.

Rebecca :

Good luck with them.

Rebecca :

Is there anything else I can answer?

Rebecca :

I will be checking back to see how they are doing.

Customer:

no thats it for now thank you x

Rebecca :

Kindly rate my answer, but only if all your questions have been answered.

Rebecca :

I hope they continue to do well.

Customer:

so do i x

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
And thank for the bonus; much appreciated!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi new problem one pup struglimg to breath and has just coughed up blood

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
That is not good. I sure wish we knew what the mother died of, whether what she had could infect the puppies.

This could be something serious, like pneumonia. This puppy needs medical attention. What time is it there? Can you get the puppy to a veterinarian?

Until you can get medical help, keep the puppies warm and keep feeding the ones that will nurse.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi its 3.30 in the morning so not really able to get to vet and worried about taking any of the out side due to the cold weather . weighing up the what is the greater risk

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

they have heat blanket under the bed . we had a vet out yesterday and they was all given the ok

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

blood is coming out of pups nose aswell now

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am so sorry I did not stay up late enough to see the rest of your questions.

How are they this morning?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Amber,
How are the puppies doing?

Rebecca
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi Rebecca, sorry its been hetic all the pups ended up at the vets 2 have passed away , 2 are still in vets but we have 3 pups at home doing really well. we have just started weaning lol very messy. but need to no should we start giving them drinking water as we decrease bottles and increase food x

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Hello again!
I am sorry to hear your puppies are so sick. Glad the three at home are doing so well.

Yes, I would offer them drinking water as you wean them. I would keep it available at all times.

I hope the ones at the vet are better and home soon.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you so much . we have set up a facebook page for the mum and all the pups if you have facebook the name is , tichand Thesevendwarfs. and thank you again x

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
You are welcome. Good luck with the puppies! Happy New Year!

Rebecca