Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Hi, I have a weimeraner that has gone off his food, ten years

Customer Question

Hi, I have a weimeraner that has gone off his food, ten years old, always healthy, been sick, not eating but drinking. Got a bit of the shakes as well?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
2- Is he drinking more than usual?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
4- Can you check his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
5- Can you take his rectal temperature?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. Vomiting, yes yesterday, very little today.

2. Not drinking more than usual but is drinking.

3. No exiting conditions.

4. Gums are pink and look quite dry.

5. Not at the moment.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Any other symptoms?
2- How much does he weigh?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Very lethargic but no other symptoms, he weighs 30kgs

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Paul, the symptoms that Duke is showing of lethargy, anorexia and vomiting once are very non specific and can be related to many different diseases that affect dogs. The fact that he is shaking it can be a sign of discomfort or a fever. Common causes are: Infection, ingestion of a foreign body, tumors, kidney or liver disease, etc.
In this case, to determine the exact underlying cause Duke is going to need a hands on examination by a veterinarian, xrays and blood work as initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. In the meantime you can start him on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours, you can buy zantac over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist). Do Not give over the counter pain killers like aspirin, tylenol, motrin, etc. as he has been vomiting. Follow up with family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter