Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

3 year old springer spaniel with growing hard lump on side

Customer Question

3 year old springer spaniel with growing hard lump on side at bottom of ribcage has previous history of haematoma lump spotted a few hours after dog squeezed through narrow gap in fence cannot get to vets locally until monday a neighbour thinks its a possible cancerous lump
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

If this lump is in the same area as the hematoma, this is most likley scar tissue secondary to this hematoma. if this is not painful and does not bother Honey, this is the most likely cause that will not require treatment. There is a slight chance that this could be a cancerous but it is unlikley given Honey's age. It is good to have your vet examine this area and possibly xray but I doubt that this will be a problem for Honey.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi, no the last haematoma was on honeys ear when she injured it shaking her head, vet released build up of blood and fluid by syring this is different site but is lump is bigger and now hard to the touch causing honey to run off, no blood in her poo she seems her usual self is eating properly, just seeking reassurance that she will be ok til monday thankyou for getting back to me

HI Judith...sorry I did not get that this lump is ina different area. Even so, this is probably scar tissue secondary to an injury that you may not be aware of....it is recommneded that your vet examine this because of the slight chance that it could be cancerous but in most cases in such a young dog as Honey, this is nothing serious and probably will not require treatment.