Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Hi, I just caught my dog sniffing at some rat poison in the

Customer Question

I just caught my dog sniffing at some rat poison in the house - blue coated rye seed -
He may have potentially eaten some grains- definitely only that / not a lot if any -
He is a 5 yr old XXXXX XXXXX - is this an emergency or shall I just keep my eye on him to see for any symptoms,
Thankyou
Brad.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning Brad and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Since this has just happened, it is best , just in case, to induce vomiting by following these instructions:

Give 1 teaspoons of peroxide per 5 pounds of weight and wait 15 minutes. If no vomiting, then try it again. You can do this 3 times safely.

You have a 2 hr window, Brad, to get this done to remove any of this poison that he may have ingested. Because of the seriousness of this situation , it is best to do this and then give Jack Vitamin K at 25 mg per day for 3 weeks...better safe than sorry.

I am sure , after this, that Jack will be safe and healthy, Brad.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta