Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  over 13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
33084435

My dog (12 months female labrador) may have suffered a trauma.

Customer Question

My dog (12 months female labrador) may have suffered a trauma. She ran off at high speed with her lead tied to a plastic crate, the grate chasing her, and got very upset by the time I managed to stop her- very shaken up (7 pm yesterday). When we came back, we were having a Christmas party and she stayed in her cage which was in the main party area (went on til 4). She has not only been emotionally traumatised but also only allowed to sleep for a few hours with a lot of noise until 4.

She salivated heavily for 2 hours after the incident
Her breathing is noisy and irregular, this morning. Maybe 'splinted breathing'
She in conscious and aware but not her usual self and she is reluctant to get out of her cage.

IS IT SAFE TO LEAVE HER AND SEE IF SHE GETS BETTER OR COULD THERE BE AN INTERVENTION REQUIRED WITH A VET?

Is it safe to leave her in this
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Bruce :

Hello, this is Dr. Bruce and I would like to help you with Flossie.

Dr. Bruce :

I'm sorry that she isn't feeling well this morning.

Dr. Bruce :

I would recommend checking a few things on her. Look at her gums. They should be a light pink coral color. If so, that is good. White would be bad.

Dr. Bruce :

Check her for any wounds or bleeding. Take her out of the cage and walk her a bit. Make sure that she isn't limping.

Dr. Bruce :

If all of these signs seem normal, then it is likely that she is merely anxious over everything that has occurred. This is a lot for a puppy!

Dr. Bruce :

If so, then I would just leave her be for the day and let her sleep it off. If she seems at all painful, then you can give her some aspirin at a dose of 5mg per pound. This can be repeated every 12 hours.

Dr. Bruce :

If she is not back to normal by tomorrow, then run her to the vet for evaluation.

Dr. Bruce :

I hope this helps and that Flossie is feeling better very soon. If you would like to continue this chat, please reply to this post and I will get back to you as soon as possible.