Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

Hi my dog gave birth a last night and after she seemed to be

Customer Question

Hi my dog gave birth a last night and after she seemed to be doing everything she should b but now she's not eating there poop and seems like she's already had enough of feeding them and when they cry panics and just tries to get out ther way it is her first little
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. Congratulations on the new additions to the family. Some new mom's are very good at their maternal instinct while others need some help nurturing it out of them. In a situation like this, you're being involved with the care of the pups shouldn't cause her to reject them. On the contrary, you're involvement may be very key here for them getting through all this. Again, some mom's just don't know what to do. With this being her first litter, there is a good chance that she'll figure things out here soon. It is important to make sure the pups all nurse on mom a couple times in the first 24 hours at least as they will get colostrum from her to help their immune systems. They should be feeding every 2 to 3 hours unless they are sleeping. You may have to be there to get mom to lay down regularlay at these times to let them nurse. A lot of moms will nurse and clean the pups and then leave the whelping box to do other things. As long as the whelping box is in a warm area and they can all snuggle into a blanket, this should be ok. Mom needs some breaks from them and doesn't need to be there 24 / 7. If she's not stimulating them to defecate and urinate, then you should do this every time they nurse so they continue to have good movements. I would get mom on a puppy food at this time to help her get more calories into her system as she'll be needing it to help feed these little ones. Overall, here is a good link on orphaned puppy care that I want you to have. This is something that gives owners a good idea about what care is needed if mom totally abandons them. But, this is something I'm hoping a little time will fix.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=576

Please let me know what questions I didn't address as I want to help as much as I can.