Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has not eaten for a day. She is listless and lethargic.

Customer Question

My dog has not eaten for a day. She is listless and lethargic. She did not want to go for her walk this morning. She is drobbling saliva from her mouth.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
2- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
4- Any other symptoms?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

NO Vomoiting or diarrhea.

As far as we are aware she did not eat anything out of the ordinary.

She started acting a bit strangely yesterday morning. She is normally very bouncy and full of life. She did not eat her breakfast or dinner yetserday and did not want to go for walk this morning.

She is shivering a tiny bit but is happy to be stroked, made a fuss of and just wants to lie in her bed. She is dribbling saliva which is not normal.

She does not have any pre-existing medical symptoms and only went to the vet 2 weeks ago for her annual check up and injections and everything was fine.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Can you open her mouth and make sure there is nothing stuck under her tongue, teeth or gums?
2- Can you see if her gums are pink or pale?
3- Can you take her rectal temperature?
4- How much does she weigh?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Notyhing stuck

Gums are pink

Cant take temp

she weights just under 11 kg

She is wagging her tail but would rather lie down all the time than chase the birds poutside like normal. She keeps dribbling saliva

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Helena, when a dog is drooling excessively it is a sign of either oral discomfort, gastrointestinal disorders or even part of a systemic disease. The shivering could be secondary to a fever or discomfort/pain. On history alone it will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on exam and some testing. But, common causes are: Gastritis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, inflammation or even secondary to liver or kidney disease, etc. to name a few causes. Her not eating and being listless are symptoms of not feeling well and can be caused by any of the above mentioned conditions. I would strongly recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablets every 12 hours for the next 3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter