DrRalston
DrRalston, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over twelve years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
47051559

My dog has recently had an abscess on one of her glands....

Customer Question

My dog has recently had an abscess on one of her anal glands.... now she trying to do a poo and she cant do one.... shes trying really hard. ... she has been eating ok... she did a little tiny poo and there seemed like there was blood in it...she was also dribbling alot while she was trying to do one
Category: Dog
Expert:  DrRalston replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome to JustAnswer! I am Dr Ralston and would be glad to help.

How much does Maisey weigh?

Which pain killer did you give and how much?

Is she on antibiotics currently?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No shes not on antibiotics. ... I gave her metacam in a syringe up to you 7 thats the pain killer the vet gave her last time she had an abscess

Expert:  DrRalston replied 3 years ago.
Susan,

Anal gland abscess can be very painful indeed. It is important to be certain that the infection is completely cleared. Some of these pets will need to be on antibiotics for 2 weeks or longer.

I will typically recheck these patients at two week intervals to express the glands and determine how often they need to be expressed to keep them from abscessing again.

If it has been sometime since the glands have been checked, have them rechecked by your Vet as soon as possible to be certain a new abscess hasn't started or that they aren't full.

For my patients I will usually prescribe a combination of pain meds. Rimadyl and Tramadol is my favorite combination. The first is anti-inflammatory so it takes out the itch and the second is mostly for pain and discomfort. This is of course a very sensitive area.

Metacam is fine if you have that too.

She might also allow you to apply a warm moist compress to the irritated area for 5 minutes once or twice daily. This helps to ease the pain.

Because it is hard to poo while this tissue is irritated, I will often prescribe a laxative to my patients. However, you can do this at home as well by increasing the fiber consumption. The easiest way is with canned pumpkin! One tablespoon per 20 pounds is a good starting dose. This will help to both soften the stool and make it easier to defecate, but help to express the anal glands naturally while the pet is defecating. This will help prevent this problem in the future.

Please let me know if you have more questions and we can continue this conversation.
DrRalston
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So your saying she needs to go to the vets to get antibiotics again...if I dont take her will she get worse....

Expert:  DrRalston replied 3 years ago.
If there is a new anal gland abscess, and she is not on antibiotics, it will rupture again, and she will get worse.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you ..

Expert:  DrRalston replied 3 years ago.
Good luck!

Please let me know if you have any questions and we may continue this conversation.

DrRalston
Expert:  DrRalston replied 2 years ago.
Hey there,
Just following up on our conversation on Just Answer.

Did you have any questions for me? You should feel free to ask as many questions as you want. I don't mind. I'm here to help.

If I have helped don't forget to leave a positive review! :)

I might not be online when you return. That's ok. Just leave your question and a message will be sent to me and I will get back to you when I am online again.

Thanks,
DrRalston