Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My dog has cataracts,can these cured or replaced.

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about Holly's eyes. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Cataracts cannot be cured, but with surgery they can be removed and new clear artificial lenses put in. Once a cataract has formed, there is no reversing it.

The first thing to check for is an underlying illness, like diabetes, that caused the cataracts to form. If she is not diabetic, and if blood tests and a physical exam shows that she is in good health to undergo anesthesia, then she could have the eye surgery.

Usually this procedure is done by a specialist, not a general practice veterinarian. Your veterinarian should know of the specialists in your area. It is also an expensive procedure. Here in my area of the USA, it would cost about $2500 US for one eye, and about $4000 to do both eyes.

Please let me know what else I can answer or help with.