Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Hi my dog had puppies on Thursday .. She had loose orange like

Customer Question

Hi my dog had puppies on Thursday .. She had loose orange like stools yesterday was first time going since having them. She's just been again it's like water but red .. Pools of red
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin

I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you. Your question came in late at night here when few vets are available. I'm quite concerned for Sharon at this time because those pools of red indicate a hemorrhagic gastroenteritis - a potentially life-threatening disorder conjectured to be akin to a toxic shock syndrome in people. Bacteria in the bowel which produce an endotoxin that is absorbed into the systemic circulation can cause severe dehyration, electrolyte imbalance and death - often within 24 hours.

The proper manner in which to address these dogs is to remove the pups and hand feed them formula, and treat Sharon in a hospital setting with a rapid infusion of IV fluids and potent broad spectrum antibiotics. Biochemical testing is necessary to evaluate all the organs in her body and monitor progress with treatment.

I don't mean to sound alarming but time is of the essence when hemorrhagic gastroenteritis exists. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.