Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

My 18 days old pup has a swelling at its back end under tail

Customer Question

My 18 days old pup has a swelling at its back end under tail help please
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for you question. My name is Dr. Stacy. I do have a few questions that will help me answer your question better.

Is the puppy doing okay generally? Is it eating/drinking. Is it able to pass stool as far as you can tell?

Is the swelling firm or soft? Has it been present since birth or did it just come up?

Dr. Stacy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is feeding ok not sure on stools it is soft
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 3 years ago.
My first though for a swelling in that area is a perianal hernia. They are not very common, but they occur when the pelvic support structures fail and a hernia forms. These can be soft, nonpain swellings, but if abdominal structures become entrapped in the hernia they can become hard and painful. This can be a very serious condition and require surgery to repair. Although at 18 days this puppy is too small an too young for a hernia.

The second possibility is that this is an anal gland abscess. This would also be uncommon, but with mom licking them to keep them clean she could introduce bacteria into the anal glands and it could become infected. I would expect an anal gland abscess to be very firm.

If the puppy is eating well, gaining weight, and able to have bowel movements I would start by warm compressing the swelling twice a day. Just use a wet towel as warm as is comfortable to you hand. Hold it on the swelling for 3-5 minutes twice a day. If this is an abscess it may come to a 'head' and drain. If it is a hernia it will not change with the compressing. If it is a hernia then the puppy needs surgery. You would have to have a vet look at it and decide what age they would feel comfortable doing that surgery.

If the swelling becomes painful, the puppy can't have a bowel movement, or is not felling well, then you need to take him to a veterinarian. They may be able to do a needle aspirate and drain it or at least be able to confirm a diagnosis.

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions let me know.

DR. Stacy