Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

hi, my bedlington terr. has cronic liver de. she has ZENTONIL

Customer Question

hi, my bedlington terr. has cronic liver de. she has ZENTONIL ADVANCED 400mg half a tablet daily, and DESTOLIT TABLETS my vet says she will not get better, and said i might have her 18 mounths, but for the past 4 weeks there seems to be a lot of floued round her chest her coat is a right mess, and eating everything in front of her, do you think i will have her much longer?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

To be honest, an increased appetite is NOT at all consistent with liver disease,

Dr. Drew :

and I wonder if perhaps Bonnie actually has Cushing's Syndrome, which is a condition that can look like liver disease based on blood tests, but actually is a problem with too much cortisol in the blood.

Dr. Drew :

Cushing's can cause increased thirst and urination, increased appetite, fat deposits/muscle loss around the chest, abdomen, and spine, and a poor hair coat, often with areas of complete hair loss.

Dr. Drew :

A special test is required to diagnose this, usually either an ACTH Stimulation test, or a Dexamethasone Suppression Test.

Dr. Drew :

If your vet has not discussed these possibilities, you may want to bring this up, or consider a second opinion.

Dr. Drew :

I would expect poor appetite, weight loss, and lethargy / low energy, if this was truly liver disease.

JACUSTOMER-wrxkni1n- :

hi, she has allready had Cushings test, and she has a mild form of that as well

Dr. Drew :

I suspect that is the cause of many of the symptoms you are describing. There is no mild form of it -- the test is either positive or negative, regardless of the numbers in the result. If there are symptoms of Cushing's, and the test is positive, then treatment is recommended.

JACUSTOMER-wrxkni1n- :

like i said before she is on 30x destolit tablets half daily, and 15x Zentonil Advance 400mg daily

Dr. Drew :

THose are not treatments for Cushing's.

JACUSTOMER-wrxkni1n- :

what do i do now then ?

Dr. Drew :

Ask your veterinarian about trying to treat Cushing's, via the medicines Trilostane or Mitotane.

Dr. Drew :

only one of those two is useful for management of Cushing's.

JACUSTOMER-wrxkni1n- :

she has a scan and blood test every mounth

JACUSTOMER-wrxkni1n- :

she cannot hold her wee, sleeps a lot, and cannot walk very far.

Dr. Drew :

I commonly see those signs in patients with Cushing's, but they are not specific for that disease only.

JACUSTOMER-wrxkni1n- :

it took 2 vets to make there mind up which it was, in the end after all test came back they said it was liver

Dr. Drew :

Well, the description you've provided me would say otherwise.

JACUSTOMER-wrxkni1n- :

what would you advise me to do now then

Dr. Drew :

Dr. Drew :

or consider a second opinion.

JACUSTOMER-wrxkni1n- :

thank you for your help, it has cost me over 1000 up till now, i am on my pen. i dont no how much i can aford, i love her to bits but u have to have to be truthfull with yourself,

Dr. Drew :

yes, I understand that dilemma, it is difficult to know how much is too much, as it varies in each case,

Dr. Drew :

but since you've already had the tests done, a 1-2 month trial of the medication probably won't stress your budget much more.

JACUSTOMER-wrxkni1n- :

if you were in my shoses what would you do

Dr. Drew :

I would at least try treatment for Cushing's, you don't have much to lose, and if there's no improvement and Bonnie's quality of life is deteriorating, then humane euthanasia may be an acceptable choice, sad as that may be.

JACUSTOMER-wrxkni1n- :

thank you again for your help x

Dr. Drew :

you are most welcome. I wish you both all the best.