Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 8-month old male Miniature English Bull Terrier has had

Customer Question

My 8-month old male Miniature English Bull Terrier has had an upset stomach for about a week, with loose stools and small amount of vomit once a day. From yesterday a.m. I starved him for 24 hours (but with lots of water) and this morning gave boiled chicken with boiled rice. He brought back a little of the chicken & rice but seemed to be getting better when he suddenly (at midnight) had a lot of liquid diarrhoea -- about 250-300mls -- dark purple in colour and very malodorous.

It is Saturday night/Sunday morning, should I take him to an emergency vet NOW or should I wait until opening hours at the Sunday vet clinic?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he lethargic?
2- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
3- How much does he weigh?
4- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not lethargic, seems to be normal in every way ... though it is midnight so he's a little sleepy as it's past both our bedtimes.

Because I am slightly disabled a dog walker takes him for an evening walk and she does not know if he found something on the ground sometime in the last week or so that he's eaten; certainly could have done so. Otherwise no major changes in diet (though I use different brands of wet/dry food from time to time).

I will get my bathroom scales to weigh him, but his weight has not changed noticeably -- very healthy.

Actually -- the gums DO LOOK QUITE PALE -- that's definitely out of the ordinary!

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Rob, the dark purple color feces is blood. Having pale gums is not a good finding, this suggest either anemia, decrease blood pressure or cardiac output, dehydration, etc. When we put all of the symptoms together common causes are: Infections (parvo virus), ingestion of a foreign body, intestinal parasites, etc. to name a few causes.
In this case, the best option is to have Nipper checked by ER veterinarian tonight. He needs to be on IV fluids while fasting (no food or water orally) until the vet's do some testing to determine the exact underlying cause. If you can not get him to ER veterinarian tonight this is what you can do until he is seen by family veterinarian:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. If this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body stopping the diarrhea with medication will make things worst. Instead start him on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- No food or water for 3-4 hours. Give gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 3-4 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- Follow up with a veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter