Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

dog not eating, lethargic,tummy feels tight, slightly bloated. Do

Customer Question

dog not eating, lethargic,tummy feels tight, slightly bloated.
Do not know what he has eaten.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Any vomiting?
3- Is he behaving restless or uncomfortable?
4- How much does he weigh?
5- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. 24 hours

2. No vomiting

3. Yes -restless and uncomfortable

4.about 18kilo

5. pinkish

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Rowena, I am a bit concern of the symptoms that you are describing in Nelson, they are consistent with what we commonly call a "bloat." This is when the stomach gets filled with air and eventually twist upon itself. He is Not the type of breed we normally see this condition but a bloat can happen in any breed. The concern is because it can be fatal if not treated early. There are other conditions like an obstruction, severe constipation, abdominal tumors, ascites (fluid in the abdome), etc. that also need to be ruled out.
If you have access to ER vet I would have him checked tonight to be on the safe side. If you do not have access to ER veterinarian this is what you can do:
1- Remove the food and water.
2- Start him on Gas X (simethicone) 100mg every 6-8 hours. You can buy simethicone over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).
3- Follow up in the morning with family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter