Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

I think my dog is having fits his symptoms are stiffness in

Customer Question

I think my dog is having fits his symptoms are stiffness in his legs he can't get up and his eyes are glazed over and his whole body shakes he is also very sensitive he is always scratching and biting his skin. He has no fleas and he is well groomed with sensitive products for his breed (Yorkey /Malteass) . He has recently had blood test for kidney and diabetes but all was clear to look at and general health are all good but this has happened 3 times in 6months the fits last up to about 10mins and after he is almost back to his normal self but I have notice in the last 6 months he has become very needy and affectionate to me he's always .bn loving but he hates me leaving him now so much more .
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is Dr. Stacy. I do have a few questions that will help me understand what is going on so I can provide you with a more complete answer.

In between episodes is he completely normal?

Before the last 6 months did he every have any seizure like activity?

How long ago was the bloodwork? Before the episodes began or after?

Dr. Stacy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

blood was done after a seizure only about 6weeks ago the only thing i would say he is normal but very needy for me his water bowle needs filling more often now and he can be very tied he also has very sensitiv skin witch is very red and he bits alot .

Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 2 years ago.
It definately sounds like he is having seizures. The duration, frequency, and description all fit a seizure, especially having that glazed over look....

Seizures in dogs have two big catagoreis of causes. The first is the 'outside the brain' causes of siezure. This includes things like diabetes, liver disease, etc. Most of these causes are ruled out with normal bloodwork so I don't think your dog's seizures are being causes by this catagories of problems. There are a few conditions, specifically a liver shunt, that sometimes will not show up on regular bloodwork.

The second category is the "inside the brian" causes. This includes epilepsy, inflammatory conditions of the brain, infections (usually fungal) infections in the brain, and brain cancer. In dogs that begin seizuring at 5 years of age or older, cancer is on the top of the list. The 'inside the brain" causes of siezures are much more difficult to diagnose and treat becasue test to look at the brain are both expensive and invasive and include and MRI and spinal tap. Gooner's seizures are happening often enough that I would definately be recommending these tests if you can afford them. Ask your local vet for information about where to go for this kind of work up.

As far as the itching more.... I can't think of anything that would cause both increased itching and seizures, but it is possible that the seizures are just making him more sensitive to things in his environment. Itching is usually allergy related. Has he had any food changes?

Dr. Stacy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you could u tell me how much the test will cost and high light witch are most importand and what are the likey outcome of him being well again thanx again gooner's mummy (nicola) xx

Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 2 years ago.
I can tell you about how much they run in my area, but it can vary in different areas.

An MRI is the most expensive diagnostic test and runs about $1800 where I live. That is the test that is going to tell you if there is problem in the brain or if these are 'just epileptic seizures'. This is the most expensive and will give you the most information. It is also the test that people have the most trouble affording. Without it, we will usually just try treating with antiseizure medications as if we are dealing with an epileptic dog. This is a reasonable approach, but it doesn't tell you what is going on because a dog with a brain tumor will often slow/stop having siezures on these medications also.

The difference is that the medication will evetually stop working in dogs with something like a tumor.

Dr. Stacy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank u i will fined the money one way or other hes my baby boy xxxxx

Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 2 years ago.
At 6 years of age I would definately get a workup done.

Good luck to you.

Dr. Stacy