Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My Labrador has a swollen face with small lumps dotted about

Customer Question

My Labrador has a swollen face with small lumps dotted about his head. He is awake and doesn't seem to be in pain
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

What you are seeing right now is an allergic reaction. Mild allergic reactions usually result in a swollen muzzle or face and in this case the small lumps which are hives. We almost never find out the cause of the reaction but it is usually treatable from home. Give your dog 1mg of human Benadryl (diphenhydramine)per lb of body weight (a 50lb dog will get 50mg or 2 typical capsules). Typically within a few hours the reaction will decrease. Continue giving the Benadryl for 2-3 doses. If the reaction proceeds to vomiting or difficulty breathing don't wait for the Benadryl and see the emergency vet as a steroid injection is now needed.

I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan