Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

13 year old labrador with constipation. Hasnt been for two

Customer Question

13 year old labrador with constipation. Hasn't been for two days. Tail moves as if she is about to go but doesn't tuck up. Always there waiting for her food but only eats a little amount (not her at all). There hasn't been any indulgence over xmas. We don't believe in it. She is 28KGs, but lost a little over the last week
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

Based on what you report I am concerned about Fern. Constipation is not common in dogs, although can occur and most often does when a dog ingested something sandy-like or if there is an organ problem causing dehydration (liver or kidney issue) or elevated calcium problem. Due to her reduction in appetite in combination with not defecating, it is possible she is not constipated but just not eliminating since she is not eating well (these two go hand-in-hand). If you do see small rock-like stools, then she is definitely constipated. Since she seems to be not eating well and losing weight, my absolute best recommendation is to have her veterinarian examine her right away, and then do some lab work (CBC, chemistry profile, urine check, thyroid check) to look for an obvious underlying issue.

Dr. Joey :

In the meantime, you should try encouraging her to drink and tempting her to eat. Here are a few recommendations to try:

1) Feed a bland diet: Try white rice and boiled chicken breasts (chopped) in about 3 meals per day. If she is having rock-like stools add in about 1 Tablespoonful of canned pumpkin to add fiber.

2) Give famotidine 20 mg at 1 tablet every 12 hours for nausea/vomit. You should be able to find this medication at any pharmacy over-the-counter. It has no bad side effects and does a great job to settle stomach acid and reduce nausea.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.