Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Dog has eaten large pot of pro fibre - prescribed by vet to

Customer Question

Dog has eaten large pot of pro fibre - prescribed by vet to firm up his stools
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dr. Kara and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
I am sorry to hear that Monty chose to eat that much Profibre.
While there is nothing toxic in this product the trouble is that eating that much of a psyllium based supplement can lead to a gastrointestinal blockage if he doesn't take in enough fluids to keep it soft and moving through his gastrointestinal system and it may lead to pretty significant diarrhea even if he does take in plenty of fluids.

It may pass but because he just ate it, it's worth trying to get him to vomit it back up to avoid complications.
You can give her 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 15 pounds (7kgs) of body weight orally (no more than 4 tablespoons even if he weighs more than 60 pounds).
Then take him outside and run him around to get the peroxide bubbling so he vomits.
If no vomiting in 10 minutes the peroxide dose can be repeated twice.
If he vomits and seems to clear his stomach we have avoided trouble and can be done.

To try and settle his stomach today once he has emptied his stomach you can try either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle his stomach.
Then feed a homemade diet of 1/3 boiled hamburger or white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained and 2/3 white rice in small meals today.

If you don't have peroxide you can get him to an emergency clinic to induce vomiting.
If he doesn't vomit it back up or you choose not to take him to an emergency clinic I would not feed him today and I would push fluids, as much as possible. Water, clear broths like low salt chicken or beef broths would be great.

Tomorrow start the bland diet.

If he starts vomiting, has a tense painful belly or refuses to eat the bland diet or runs a fever (more than 103F rectally) then that can signify a blockage and he should be seen by a veterinarian immediately. Surgery may be needed at that point.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.