Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Experience:  21 years small animal general and emergency practice
15552883

Hi, My labradour has been diagnosed with a damaged cruciate

Customer Question

Hi, My labradour has been diagnosed with a damaged cruciate ligament in her back left leg. The advice is to operate. Is this advisable if she is almost 11 years old. I am concerned that healing will be prolonged and not successful. Is it worth putting her through this and what happens if we don't treat. Thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Dave :

Hello, and thanks for writing in.

JACUSTOMER-21cnh0q7- :

Is Dr Dave still sending a response

Dr. Dave :

In a large dog, like a Labrador Retriever, a ruptured cruciate ligament is best repaired with surgery to help stabilize the knee joint.

Dr. Dave :

There are a few main types of surgery for this repair, and the cost can vary quite a bit.

Dr. Dave :

If surgery is not performed, then basically you are treating with time (to let fibrous tissue form around the knee joint to help stabilize it), pain relievers, and joint supplements (glucosamine & chondroitin products).

Dr. Dave :

Without surgery, there is more of a chance of arthritis building up in the damaged joint.

JACUSTOMER-21cnh0q7- :

Even at this age?

JACUSTOMER-21cnh0q7- :

If not treated, will she be in pain

Dr. Dave :

With surgery, there is a better chance of her regaining better function of the knee.

Dr. Dave :

Yes, even at this age surgery can help.

JACUSTOMER-21cnh0q7- :

Thanks. Sounds like we should go ahead.

Dr. Dave :

Yes, she would be in pain (with or without surgery) - but, she would likely be in quite a bit more pain without surgery.

JACUSTOMER-21cnh0q7- :

Thanks for your help. Good night.

Dr. Dave :

The pain will get under control quicker if she has surgery, and can regain function of the knee quicker.

Dr. Dave :

You're very welcome - glad I could be here to help out!

Dr. Dave :

You can read more about rupture cruciate ligaments in dogs HERE.