Steve O.
Steve O., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 20 years of canine clinical and surgical experience
31531426

my dog is peeing where he sleeps an for some reason does not

Customer Question

my dog is peeing where he sleeps an for some reason does not want to go outside, when i get him outside he is acting weird jumping up the door and chewing the handle an barking he is 3 years old an i have never known him to be like this please help me
Category: Dog
Expert:  Steve O. replied 2 years ago.

Steve O. :

Hi,I'm Dr Steve. I am sorry to hear about Alfie's problems. I have a few thoughts for you but was hoping to ask a few questions to better understand the situation. How long has the urinating in his bed and the jumping at the door been going on? DId they both start at the same time? I will check throughout the evening to see your reply.

Steve O. :

Hi,I see you haven't had a chance to comeback online. I will give you some thoughts tonight and check back tomorrow to see if you have more questions.

Steve O. :

Whenever I have a dog that has urination issues, I think of two things. One is a urinary tract infection (UTI) and the other is behavioral. The UTi possibility is diagnosed by taking a urine sample to your vet .When a dog has a UTI, they can behave very abnormally from having accidents to doing strange things. WIth a UTI, there can be bladder spasms and pain in the bladder that can cause a lot of stress in a dog. If the urine has an infection in it, then antibiotics usually take care of the problems.

Steve O. :

If the urine is not infected, then his problem is more likely to be behavioral. Unfortunately there are not any specific tests for behavioral problems. They are diagnosed by checking for possible medical problems ( like UTI) and if there are none, then behavioral needs to be addressed.

Steve O. :

When a dog develops behavioral problems, they can exhibit a variety of unusual behaviors and typically these behaviors are undesirable, like urinating in his bed and jumping/chewing at the door. Often when a dog develops a behavioral problem, it is caused by some event or some fear that causes anxiety in the dog.

Steve O. :

Usually the exact event that causes the anxiety is rarely not found, but it could have been something that happened or something that he smelled outside and that is why he is wanting to get back in so badly. It also could be that he has developed separation anxiety which makes a dog very nervous and stressed when he is not with his owners or in the house where he feels safe. THe urinating where he sleeps, if there is no UTI, could be from being frustrated from feeling nervous or frightened of something . As you can see trying to explain or determine exactly what he could be reacting to can be frustrating for you.

Steve O. :

If your vet feels that there is no infection or any other medical explanation for the urinating in his bed, you could ask him about the possibility and the treatment for behavioral anxiety. I have used antianxiety medicines like Clomicalm or Reconcile to help with behavioral issues. These are pills that are given once a day to help reduce the anxiety caused by something in his environment that he has no control over and that causes him stress.

Steve O. :

I hope this has helped. I will check tomorrow to see if you have more questions. Thanks for your question and your patience. Good luck