Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog has been coughing mucous heaving and wheezing since

Customer Question

My dog has been coughing mucous heaving and wheezing since 3am should I call emergency vet her eyes are watery too.
Gitta
She is a 9 year old and 9 months
My email is [email protected] internet.com
I got it wrong as it's new
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about Tess's condition...it has been a long time so if this has calmed down or you have taken her to the ER vet, then let me know.

Since thsi may be due to an Upper Respiratory Infection or an allergic reaction, you can give tess benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs and give her Robitussin DM at 1 teaspoon per 20 pounds of her weight every 8 hrs to help calm down this cough. This can be purchased at the chemist over the counter.

If there is no relief, this could be a form of an anaphylactic allergic reaction that may require emergency treatment by your vet.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX