Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I have a nine year old standard poodle . Normally she

Customer Question

I have a nine year old standard poodle bitch . Normally she is a very fussy eater but now she is refusing most food . Normal behaviour out walking is lively and enthusiastic and now she is reluctant and lags behind . When at rest her breathing is shallow and rapid but not panting . Should I get her to a vet today ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

This does sound quite concerning for Tilly. Unfortunately her symptoms are vague and not specific for any particular problem. The lethargy when asking her to be active could be due to either pain or something that is making her lose energy rapidly such as a heart problem or anemia or electrolyte issue. The addition of nausea into this mix makes this more concerning. I highly recommend you have her examined by a veterinarian as soon as possible. If you can have her seen today, then I recommend this. Primarily we want to ensure she is not experiencing a life-threatening issue such as heart arrythmia or anemia or electrolyte problem.

Dr. Joey :

Tempting her to eat different foods is a very good first step. If you try this and cannot get her interested within 8 hours, then this is another indication to have her seen right away.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.