Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  over 13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
33084435

My Jack Russel is panting shaking has a swollen stomach and

Customer Question

My Jack Russel is panting shaking has a swollen stomach and is constipated
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Bruce :

Hello, this is Dr. Bruce and I would like to help you with your dog.

Dr. Bruce :

I'm sorry to hear that he is not feeling well.

Dr. Bruce :

How long has this problem been going on for? Has there been any vomiting?

JACUSTOMER-hfgn677g- :

The vomiting started yesterday morning the swollen abdomen has been ongoing, now she's completely floored if this was my child I would be at A&E right now

Dr. Bruce :

How old is she?

JACUSTOMER-hfgn677g- :

9 yrs

Dr. Bruce :

You say that the swollen abdomen is ongoing. Do you mean that she has always had that, or it has been going on for a while?

Dr. Bruce :

Is she responsive to you right now, or is she unconscious?

JACUSTOMER-hfgn677g- :

I recently changed her diet to Gluten free thought this might stop the swollen abdomen her abdomen been swollen after even very small meals for six months

Dr. Bruce :

JACUSTOMER-hfgn677g- :

Not really lying sleeping shaking uncontrollably since ten this morning

Dr. Bruce :

Are you able to wake her?

JACUSTOMER-hfgn677g- :

Yes

Dr. Bruce :

Please lift her lip and tell me what color her gums are. The gums should be a muted pink color.

JACUSTOMER-hfgn677g- :

she's not sleeping right now just lying shaking her gums are muted pink but she has rotten canine tooth

Dr. Bruce :

Even with the swollen stomach, was she acting normal up until yesterday?

JACUSTOMER-hfgn677g- :

She was acting normal up until yesterday

Dr. Bruce :

Did she get into anything (garbage, dead animal, etc)?

JACUSTOMER-hfgn677g- :

No

Dr. Bruce :

Have you tried giving her any medication such as aspirin, or pepto bismol?

JACUSTOMER-hfgn677g- :

No

Dr. Bruce :

Can she walk or stand on her own?

JACUSTOMER-hfgn677g- :

No we just put her down and shes staggering

Dr. Bruce :

When was the last time she had any water to drink?

JACUSTOMER-hfgn677g- :

yesterday

Dr. Bruce :

Your description makes me very concerned. It sounds like she is probably very dehydrated. I don't know what the underlying problem is, but the most important thing right now would be to try and get her rehydrated. I would suggest giving her small amounts of water by mouth using a syringe or dropper.

Dr. Bruce :

Give her a small amount and then wait 10 minutes or so. If she is able to hold it down without vomiting, then repeat again. Your goal would be to get at least 4-5 ounces of water into her over the course of a couple of hours.

JACUSTOMER-hfgn677g- :

We'll do that now

Dr. Bruce :

If she doesn't vomit, then I would also consider giving her a famotidine (Pepcid) to try and calm her stomach/intestines of inflammation. She can get 2.5mg.

Dr. Bruce :

If she is unable to hold down the water, or if she is still staggering and/or shaking after you get her rehydrated, then she needs to be seen by the vet today.

Dr. Bruce :

I would also recommend having a vet check her out for this swollen stomach issue. There are several possible causes and in a 9 year old dog, it would be prudent to make sure that it isn't a serious issue.

JACUSTOMER-hfgn677g- :

She's taking the water thanks for your help its really appreciated

Dr. Bruce :

You're very welcome. I hope that she is feeling better very soon. I would strongly recommend having you take her in to be seen by your vet in the next day or so to get her checked out, even if she starts to feel better today. That swollen stomach should be looked into.

Dr. Bruce :

Please be aware that even after you "ACCEPT" my answer and rate my service, you can always continue this chat by replying to this post. I will always be willing to answer any follow up questions and concerns whenever I get online.