Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  over 13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
33084435

my dog is 8 yrs and maltese, he just cried out 3 times and

Customer Question

my dog is 8 yrs and maltese, he just cried out 3 times and i walk in the kitchen to find him having urinated and trying to roll away from it as he couldnt get up. he cried once at 8 am but moved ok.his pee is yellow and sulpherous and he is panting. is it a virus, muscular or postate type symptoms so far, because he is only happy in my arms and a little smelly and low in appetite yesterday. it was a large wee, i am worried he has a bladder infection can you gleen enough from this message or do i need to take him out in the cold and have him upset more? please respond, pip x
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Bruce :

Hello, this is Dr. Bruce and I would like to help you with your dog.

Dr. Bruce :

I'm sorry to hear that he has this problem.

Dr. Bruce :

Is he able to walk now?

Dr. Bruce :

I would be very suspicious that your dog may have had a seizure. Assuming that he is able to walk now and is acting normal (or close to it(, then what you describe is very consistent with some sort of seizure.

Dr. Bruce :

The most common cause of seizures in dogs is epilepsy which is very treatable.

Dr. Bruce :

I would recommend taking him to see the vet tomorrow and get evaluated. It may be necessary to have some blood tests run to rule out any other issues.

Dr. Bruce :

If epilepsy is diagnosed, then it is likely that he will need to be put on an anticonvulsant medication.

Dr. Bruce :

If he is still not walking or able to move normally at this time, then he needs to be seen immediately by a vet. A urinary tract infection should not keep him from being able to get up normally.

Dr. Bruce :

I hope this helps and that he is feeling better very soon. If you would like to continue this chat, please reply to this post and I will get back to you as soon as possible.