Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

Although my dog (a chocolate lab) is always being a scavenger

Customer Question

Although my dog (a chocolate lab) is always being a scavenger has just recently been a lot worse and pushing his bowl around even when he has just eaten. My concern is that his tummy seems very swollen and making noises and he keeps passing wind, panting and drinking quite a bit more than usual. He is also finding it hard to settle. I am a bit concerned that it could be a twisted stomach.

Sonia
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Susan :

Hi, I'll help you with your question.

Dr. Susan :

I agree, the fact that he is having such trouble settling is a big concern.

Dr. Susan :

This is often a sign of abdominal pain.

Dr. Susan :

We can see this with bloat and with gastric dilitation volvulus (GDV).

Dr. Susan :

If you happen to have any gas relieving products, you can try these and see if it helps him to feel better.

Dr. Susan :

One of these products is called WindEze. The active ingredient is called simethicone.

JACUSTOMER-g5q1tjj3- : I have windeze for my personal use, would this be ok to give him ?
Dr. Susan :

Yes, this is safe. Give him the same dose as you would take.

Dr. Susan :

This can relieve him if it is just bloat.

JACUSTOMER-g5q1tjj3- : Have given him one so will how that works, thank you.
Dr. Susan :

You're welcome! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION.

JACUSTOMER-g5q1tjj3- : if that doesn't make any difference what would you recommend. His tummy is quite swollen and is making all sorts of noises, and he is also passing wind quite a bit. He can normally sleep at the drop of a hat, but is panting a lot, won't settle and drinking more than normal..
Dr. Susan :

Because of the chance of GDV, I highly recommend having him checked by a vet tonight.

Dr. Susan :

How is he feeling now?

Dr. Susan :

I'm signing off for tonight, please don't hesitate to ask me any further questions. I'll get back to you tomorrow.

JACUSTOMER-g5q1tjj3- : Have phoned a vet and they said because he has now settled to leave him to sleep, but if he starts to get unsettled and uncomfortable or starts crying then to take him down to see them.
JACUSTOMER-g5q1tjj3- : sonia
Dr. Susan :

Oh good, I'm glad he's been able to settle. I hope he continues to feel better Sonia!

Dr. Susan :

I really like the name Chubby too :)