Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

our 18 month old weimeraner was involved in a hit and run.

Customer Question

our 18 month old weimeraner was involved in a hit and run. she was taken straight to the vets, and sent home the same day. there was no x-ray, only pain meds and ointment to apply to wounds. we took her back on several occassions over the next few days with concerns. she passed away one week later due to a tear in the lung. i understand she wouldn't have survived, but i do believe that she/we could have avoided the added misery had they x-rayed her in the first instance. we were still billed for all extra care.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Bella. My condolences for your loss. You're correct in that the standard of care for dogs hit-by-car is to X-ray their chest and abdomen upon presentation. This is standard emergency medicine protocol. It allows us to identify internal bleeding and escape of air from the lungs or an abdominal viscus that otherwise would remain undetected. Subsequent diagnostics and care would be predicated upon how Bella presented upon recheck examinations.

The proper manner in which to proceed if you wish to contest Bella's care and billing is to file a grievance with peer review of the local veterinary association to which the vet(s) belong. Peer review will ask for input from you and the vet(s) and then adjudicate. If you're not pleased with the results of adjudication, your next step is to file a grievance with your state board of veterinary medicine.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

(Full disclosure: I headed peer review for my local association.)