Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

recently a 4cm sharp crystal was removed from the bladder of

Customer Question

recently a 4cm sharp crystal was removed from the bladder of my utanagan, please will you recomend what diet to avoid reocurance thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you. And what a beautiful breed utanagans are!

Dr. Joey :

That's a moderate sized stone! Do you by chance know what kind of stone this was (calcium oxalate, struvite, etc)?

Dr. Joey :

My best recommendation if you are unsure of the type of stone is to feed Royal Canin Urinary SO which protects against both types of crystals/stones, and moderates a dog's urine pH to stay at about 7.0; it also encourages increased water consumption wich long-term is excellent since this may help flush the bladder of unwanted crystals that could consolidate into stones. Your veterinarian will need to prescribe this food (they can probably order this for you or you can order it online with a prescription).

Dr. Joey :

If you are not intersted in feeding one of the veteirnary prescription diets formulated for this problem, then you will have to discuss using a supplement with the food that you currently feed and then monitoring her urine pH.

Dr. Joey :

Please let me know your questions.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

You appear to have exited our live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.