Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Experience:  23 years small animal general and emergency practice
15552883

Hi I decided to let my dog have a litter of pups, she is a

Customer Question

Hi I decided to let my dog have a litter of pups, she is a two year old Labrador. The stud could not get her so his owner asked if it was ok to artificially inseminate her. When doing so she said that upon entering her vagina her bone seemed quite high almost like a step. Is this normal? If pregnant would she have problems giving birth?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Dave :

Hello, and thanks for writing in.

Dr. Dave :

There is going to be some individual variation from dog to dog, in regards to their anatomy.

Dr. Dave :

There can sometimes be a bit of a "stair-step" in the vaginal area.

Dr. Dave :

This does not necessarily mean she will have a difficult time giving birth.

Dr. Dave :

It's quite rare for a Lab to have birthing problems.

Dr. Dave :

If Molly has not already had X-rays of her pelvis, you could get this done to get a better idea if her pelvic canal is narrower than normal (which would be unusual in her breed).

JACUSTOMER-nmhoaqjg- : Should I take her to my vets? Just to make sure
Dr. Dave :

It would be a very good idea to have your veterinarian examine Molly, just to make sure there are no structural or anatomic abnormalities that could interfere with giving birth.

Dr. Dave :

Can I assist you further?

Dr. Dave :

Please tell my why you rated by service as "BAD", and I will be happy to answer any further questions, or assist you further.