Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

my lab dog 2yrs old keep getting ear infections, and keeps

Customer Question

my lab dog 2yrs old keep getting ear infections, and keeps shaking his head. we have been treating him with johnsons ear drops solution, and cleanaural. please can you help. thank you peter.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

Ear infections in dogs tend to be caused by either yeast (Malassezia) or bacteria (variety of bacteria). Adult dogs generally do not get ear mites. Since this is persisting, it means the ear cleaner and medication you have is not working. In general, ear infections in dogs require prescription medication that you must get through your veterinarian to clear. If you did get the medication from your vet, then it is time to reassess. This means your vet need to get a swab of the debris in the ear and then visualize this under a microscope to know what is causing this infection. If this is yeast, than an appropriate antifungal ear treatment can be prescribed, as it could if this is bacteiral. There are no good over-the-counter remedies that I can recommend since what you have tried is not working. He is going to need to have a visit with his vet.

Dr. Joey :

Why do dogs get infections to begin with? Sometimes they start by retained water after a bath or swim. Sometimes they are due to an underlying allergy, food allergy in particular (allergy to a protein in the diet). Other times it can be due to an endocrine problem such as hypothyroidism. Your vet can help you work through the underling issue.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.