Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Hello I have a sick dog she hasnt ate in two days shes being

Customer Question

Hello I have a sick dog she hasn't ate in two days she's being sick and it's like bile n she has no energy and not drinking much can u help please
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dr. Kara and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to see that you have been waiting a while for an answer and I would like to help. I am quite concerned about Lucy because of the length of time this has been going on, her lack of energy and her age.

The yellow color to her vomit tells me that she has bile refluxing from her small intestine into her stomach which she is vomiting. This often happens when dogs have vomited a number of times. While this isn't normal it is seen often with severe gastrointestinal upset which leads to abnormal gastrointestinal motility and bile reflux.

In most cases vomiting is triggered by eating something they should not, too much table food, too many treats or something they find outdoors.

More serious causes of vomiting include viral or bacterial infections, chronic pancreatitis, esophageal reflux, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, inflammatory bowel disease, internal organ failure (kidney or liver disease), a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma.

Because this has persisted for 48 hours and she isn't drinking well, possibly allowing her to become dehydrated, ideally she would see her veterinarian. If that isn't possible for whatever reason there are some things we can try at home.

To try and settle her stomach you can give either:
1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours
These are acid reducers and may help him feel better and hopefully stop the vomiting.

I would pick up all food for now and water for a couple hours to allow her stomach to settle after the acid reducers.

In a couple hours when you give her water make sure it is in small amounts only. If she drinks too much too quickly that can lead to vomiting. To get some electrolytes in you can also offer her a 50:50 mix of pedialyte and water.

If there is no vomiting for 24 hours offer a bland diet of 1/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken or lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow. If she refuses that you can offer a little meat baby food. If she refuses both then don't push it.

But if things go well and she does eat and doesn't vomit feed her the bland diet for 2 to 3 days then slowly start to mix back in her regular food, a little more at each meal. It should take about 5 to 7 days to slowly convert her back to her regular diet.

If she continues to vomit even with the acid reducers, runs a fever (more than 103F or 39.4C rectally), has a tense painful belly or if she refuses to eat she should see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics, injectable anti-nausea drugs intravenous fluids and supportive care.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.