Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

my dog is in pain when she jumps down from lap height and gives

Customer Question

my dog is in pain when she jumps down from lap height and gives out a yelp, she walks fine and every thing else seems normal.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome, My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Please tell me .... How long has this been a problem for Abbie?

JACUSTOMER-5hgnqsc0- : Since yesterday lunchtime .
Scott Nimmo :

A good, only a short time.

Scott Nimmo :

This is a not uncommon situation, it may be due to some mild form of back pain which only occurs when she is in certain positions such as jumping down.

Scott Nimmo :

After all people can get back pain , sometimes just when the stand up for example

Scott Nimmo :

Many vets would suggest a week or so's strict rest plus an anti-inflammatory drug of some sort and then a gradual return to exercise.

Scott Nimmo :

As far as over the counter anti-inflammatory drugs go you really just have one option : Aspirin, the others such as paracetamol etc. are toxic to dogs. On a short term home remedy aspirin would be much safer and more effective than the other over the counter human pain killers and aspirin is sometimes prescribed for dogs. A typical dose rate would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight twice daily. The judgment whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to a an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

Scott Nimmo :

The bottom line is this : If you are dealing with a minor injury you may be able to handle it with simple home remedies such as I have outlined but who is to say this is not something more serious such as the start of a slipped disk. So if in doubt have your vet check her over.

Scott Nimmo :

Can I help you further .... ?