Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My had 5 puppies on monday morning, they are 4 days old,

Customer Question

My bitch had 5 puppies on monday morning, they are 4 days old, she now has very bad diahrrea, I am feeding her fish and rice and cooking chicken and rice...
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about Purdy. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Is she eating well? Any vomiting?

How are the puppies doing?

If she is eating well and not vomiting, I would try feeding the boiled chicken and rice. I would also try to get a stool sample, and have it checked microscopically for parasites and infections she could pass to the puppies. Coccidia and Giardia are too small to see with the naked eye, and could make the puppies sick if they get these parasites.

Slippery Elm is something you could give her, that would be safe since she is feeding puppies. It is available in stores that sell vitamins and supplements.

Do not give Pepto Bismal or Kaopectate; the salicylates are not safe for the puppies.

You could also give her probiotics ( supplements of "friendly bacteria") like Fortiflora, Proviable, or Culturelle. The first two are for dogs and found in vet offices and pet stores and Culturelle is found for people, in pharmacies.

Please let me know what else I can answer or help with.

Rebecca