gpvet
gpvet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a general practice vet dealing with all kinds of companion animals and small exotics for the last 13 years
73965271

After removing two fleas from my chihuahua lastnyt I bathd

Customer Question

After removing two fleas from my chihuahua lastnyt I bathd and thoroughly dried her then applied frontline...I binned her bedding ..bought new and sprayed everywhr with virbac indorex spray. This morn shes not scratching as much but now I see flea poo in her coat which wasnt thr lastnyt....im still in process of spraying whole house but the thought theyre still on her freaks me out...what more can I dooo??... thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  gpvet replied 3 years ago.

gpvet :

gpvet :

The frontline takes 12-24 hours to spread through the coat and 24-48 hours to kill all the fleas. So for now hold tight, and keep combing through her. If you are still seeing live fleas in 3 days, then is the time to take more action. The frontline may not have worked as well as it should as you should wait at least 24 hours (preferably 48 hours) after a bath to apply it as it requires the oily layer in the skin to disperse through. Hence, if you are still seeing fleas in 3 days, you can either apply more frontline, although I would prefer you waited a week between applications to ensure you don't end up overdosing her, or use an alternate product. The best off-license (ie over the shelf rather than vet-only) product you can use would be advantage. Again it needs to be applied 48 hours after bathing and takes 12-24 hours to spread through the coat, but only takes 1-2 hours to kill the fleas

gpvet :

I hope this information is helpful to you, but if you want any additional information please just ask.

gpvet :

Debbie