Denver ER Doc
Denver ER Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery Internship, Veterinary Acupuncture trained, Wildlife and Exotics
18160762

My dogs bag has burst and it is weeping whot can I do it looks

Customer Question

My dogs bag has burst and it is weeping whot can I do it looks sore can you help thankyou.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Denver ER Doc replied 3 years ago.
Hi there,

What do you mean by "bag?"

Dr. Paul
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Anal gland bag

OK, thanks for the information.

Generally, these need veterinary care. They typically need to be opened up and flushed out with an antibiotic solution, and then the dog needs to be on antibiotics and pain medications until the wound heals.

If you are unable to get him in right away, I would wash it off as best you can with warm soap and water, then warm pack it a few times a day to encourage it to heal.

Unfortunately, there are no safe over-the-counter pain medications for dogs. Some will recommend aspirin in a pinch, but it almost always causes irritation to the stomach lining (ulcers).

Hope that helps. Please let me know what other questions you have.

Dr. Paul