Denver ER Doc
Denver ER Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery Internship, Veterinary Acupuncture trained, Wildlife and Exotics
18160762

Please How may I treat a cut on my labrador x ,s inner

Customer Question

Please How may I treat a nasty cut on my labrador x ,s inner part of his back left leg, he seems to lick it a lot but won,t let me touch im in that area he is now 2 years old and very keen on running through burns and pools etc.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

Is the cut open and fresh or is it crusted, oozing and smelly?

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The cut is open and fresh

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the information. What you can do is clean the cut with hydrogen peroxide once and only once. If you use peroxide repeatedly then it will actually reverse the healing. After the hydrogen peroxide is used then you can apply a triple antibiotic ointment to the area. If possible lightly wrap it with an ace bandage or gauze and tape to prevent licking. If you can't wrap the area periodically clean the wound with soap and water and re-apply the triple antibiotic ointment. If the area is scabbed over by Monday then you should be fine. If the wound is not scabbed but is draining then see the vet on Mon for antibiotics. If the draining gets worse and worse over the weekend, the wound starts to be smelly or your pooch becomes sleepy or loses his appetite or finally you can see glistening yellow fat or striped pink tissue (muscle) then the emergency vet needs to be contacted for medical cleaning and suturing.

I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan
Expert:  Denver ER Doc replied 3 years ago.
Hi there,

I notice that you Opted Out Dr. Dan after he gave his answer.

Do you still need help with this question?

Thanks,
Dr. Paul