Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog hasnt eaten all day and very quiet just wants to sleep.

Customer Question

My dog hasn't eaten all day and very quiet just wants to sleep. She is 7 yrs old lab pointer usually very hyper!!!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question, I am sorry to learn Millie is not feeling well. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
2- How long has this been going on?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
4- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?
5- Can you take her rectal temperature?
6- Is she spayed?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No vomiting..only been like it today.she has a heart murmure. Yes she is spayed. Can't do temp.. Gums look fine ...
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Any other symptoms?
2- Is she on any medications?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No other symtoms ....and on no medication ..
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Rachel, being lethargic and decrease appetite are very non-specific symptoms and can be related to many different medical conditions that affect dogs. Unfortunately Rachel on history alone it will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without any other symptoms, without a hands on exam and some testing. But, common causes for lethargy and anorexia are: Anemia, infections, ingestion of a foreign body, kidney or liver disease, etc. Having a history of a heart murmur it is also important to rule out heart disease. Millie is going to need a hands on examination, blood work (chemistry profile & CBC), urinalysis and +/-xrays as initial screening test to determine the exact underlying cause. Treatment will be based on clinical and diagnostic findings. Highly recommend having her checked as soon as you can by a veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter