Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

9 month old male labrador puppy is urinating blood, yesterday

Customer Question

9 month old male labrador puppy is urinating blood, yesterday being sick all day and very lathargic, this morning two very small wee s with a fair amount of blood.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response, it appears no experts were available when you posted your question. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Can you give me an update on how Nugget is doing?
2- Did he get into any type of rat/mouse poison?
3- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nugget is just lying on his bed he has urinated afew times,, all is ok until the end where there is a few spots of blood and what looked like a clot, he has eaten a bowl of chicken and rice and drank a bowl of milk... not been anywhere near poison,, gums around the teeth are pink but towards the top of the gum a bit paler,, that might be me lifting the lip because he is pulling away

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
David, there are many possible causes that will lead to bloody urine. In a male dog common causes are: Bladder stones, prostate or kidney disease, urethritis (inflammation of the bladder) and less likely infections. Normally however these are all conditions that we see in mature male dogs not a puppy like nugget. When we start seeing bloody urine in such a young dog we begin to think of diseases like toxicity (rat poison that interferes with coagulation), liver disease, coagulation disorders, etc.
In this case, on history alone it will be very difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause. Nugget will need a hands on examination by a veterinarian, blood work, urinalysis and +/-xrays as initial screening test. Treatment will be determined by exam and test results. In the meantime keep him on a bland diet of rice and chicken; No milk and minimize activity to urinate and defecate on a leash; no running or jumping until he is seen by a veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter