Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

Should you allow a to have one litter of puppies

Customer Question

Should you allow a bitch to have one litter of puppies
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 13 years. Thank you for your question about Tundra. There is no medial benefit for allowing a female to have a litter of puppies. So allowing a female to have a litter should be done because an owner is wanting the puppies for their personal reasons. Emotionally and medically, it doesn't benefit the female dog. Medically it may have health issues for her as far as complications associated with the pregnancy and delivery. One of the things that I always council owners about is the upcoming work and money that it will take to raise the puppies until they can find new homes. Also making sure that homes can be found for all puppies is important too. Please let me know what questions this brings up.