Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

I gave my cavalier King Charles worming tabs on Saturday. He

Customer Question

I gave my cavalier King Charles worming tabs on Saturday. He vomited very lightly on Sunday and he was quite lethargic. I have not seen any worms in poo. I wormed him as he is due to go in kennels on Wednesday. He was perkier this morning and more like himself. However about 10pm he was licking his rear end and when I had a look the area around his anus and on his tail was red and raw. Smears of blood on blanket. I have been stopping him licking it as much as possible. It obviously annoys him on and off and he tries to lick it but in between is sleeping normally. I will phone vet in morning but just wondering if anything I can do to make him more comfortable till then. The tablets I gave him were bob Martin, not used them before so wondering if it is an allergy. Any advice would be welcome.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

There's a few things you could try, to reduce Harris's irritation.

Dr. Drew :

A topical cream containing hydrocortisone may be helpful,

Dr. Drew :

along with cool compresses every few hours,

Dr. Drew :

alternatively, a diaper rash type cream containing vitamins A & D may be soothing to the irritated skin,

Dr. Drew :

regardless of which type of cream you apply, it would be wise to avoid licking at the area,

Dr. Drew :

using a cone type collar if necessary,

Dr. Drew :

you also could try an oral antihistamine,

JACUSTOMER-ybwpb6he- : Thanks for your advice
Dr. Drew :

such as Diphenhydramine, 2mg per kilogram of body weight, every 8-12 hours

Dr. Drew :

you're very welcome -- let me know if there is anything more I can do to help.